Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Lettuce Wraps


The recipe below calls for ground pork because that's what I had leftover from my grass-fed meat CSA (Mmmmmm, meat!) . But you could certainly use any other ground meat you feel would suffice. I am also taking suggestions on other asian-style flavorings you add to recipes. Any ideas? Also, while the iceberg is the usual lettuce for these types of wraps...I'm wondering if maybe a butter lettuce or other leafy variety would actually work better. I'll try it out and get back to you...

1 head of iceberg lettuce

1 pound ground pork
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon fresh grated or finely chopped ginger*
1 teaspoon chopped garlic, mine was from a jar
1 tablespoon tamari (wheat free soy sauce)
zest of about 1/3 of an orange (I know, it doesn't seem like much, but it helps)

Finely chopped cabbage
Toasted, sliced almonds
Extra tamari

*Go with your gut here. I only used about a teaspoon in my meat and while I think it could have used a bit more, I'm afraid to increase the amount listed here for fear of turning your meat into gingered pork.

Mix the pork in a medium bowl along with the sesame oil, ginger, garlic and tamari. Let sit for 15 minutes. Then heat a skillet over medium heat, and add the meat mixture once it's hot. No need to add oil, there's enough oil and fat in the meat. Stir it around until fully cooked, about 7-8 minutes. While the meat is cooking, separate the lettuce leafs as best you can. Once the meat is fully cooked, you're ready to eat! Spoon some pork into a lettuce leaf and top with cabbage, almonds, and a drizzle of tamari as needed.

Serve with your favorite veggie and/or fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment