So what does Paleo mean?
Eat real food – meat, eggs, vegetables, nuts, seeds, fruit, oils (like EVOO or coconut). Eat foods with very few ingredients, all pronounceable ingredients, or better yet, no ingredients listed at all because they’re fresh and natural.
- Paleo does not include grains. This means no bread, rice, pasta, corn or other gluten-free grains.
- Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds, lentils, and peanuts! Surprise…peanuts are a legume!! Though in my humble opinion, it will not kill you to eat green beans or snap peas.
- Do not eat a lot of added sugars **I use the occasional honey and/or agave to sweeten nut butters or use in marinades.
- NO artificial sugars…these are the devil
- Do not eat processed foods.
If you have serious inflammation issues like arthritis, you may want to consider avoiding nightshades which are Potatoes, tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, pepinos, pimentos, paprika, cayenne, and Tabasco sauce.
Typical Paleo does not include Dairy. This includes butter, cheese (hard and soft) yogurt (even Greek) and milk (including cream in your coffee**). However, consumption of raw milk products is better for your digestive system than other processed dairy products.